High Wind Warning, Flood Watch Issued Monday & Tuesday in Peters
With talks of a 'Frankenstorm' affecting the area early this week, here's the latest on what weather we can expect.
Hurricane Sandy is forecast to bring heavy rains, strong winds and a significant storm surge to the Mid-Atlantic States and southern New England on Monday and Tuesday—and the Pittsburgh region will be affected by this storm.
Under the flood watch—in effect 6 a.m. Monday to 7 p.m. Tuesday—prolonged and heavy rain associated with a cold front and a post Tropical Storm Sandy might cause some flooding. According to the NWS, areas that get more than two inches of rain on Monday and Tuesday might flood where drainage is poor. Larger rivers also might be impacted.
The high wind warning is in effect from noon Monday to 7 p.m. Tuesday. Winds could blow 25 to 35 miles per hour with damaging wind gusts of 50 to 60 miles per hour. Winds could knock down trees and power lines.
Monday through Wednesday Forecast
- Monday: Rain. High near 44. Breezy, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
- Monday Night: Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 39. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
- Tuesday: Rain. High near 46. Windy, with a northwest wind 23 to 28 mph decreasing to 14 to 19 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
- Tuesday Night: Rain. Low around 36. West wind 13 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Wednesday: Rain and snow showers, becoming all rain after 9am. High near 44. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Wednesday Night: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 36. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Links & Tips
- To see how the county and local Red Cross are preparing for the storms (and what items you should have on hand), click here.
- For information about preparing for the storm, visit www.readypa.org.
- To see how the airport is bracing for the bad weather, click here.
- Check out this AccuWeather.com article for more details about how the storm will affect the Pittsburgh region.
Continue to check Peters Patch for information regarding this storm. We'll be updating the site as much as possible.