For a minimum $10 charge per household, Peters residents can dispose of up to 20 gallons of waste at the garage from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. that day. Anything over 20 gallons is subject to a charge.
Participants must supply proof that they reside in Peters.
Businesses and institutions that produce hazardous waste as part of their regular business operation will NOT be allowed to participate in the collection.
All waste materials collected will be handled in the most environmentally conscience fashion possible, according to a Peters municipal document. Options include reuse, recycling, reclamation, incineration and/or land filling.
Acceptable items include:
- paint products (oil-based, enamel, latex, aerosol cans, furniture strippers, water sealers, thinners, creosote)
- pesticides (rodent killers, insecticides, weed killers, fertilizers, moth balls)
- automotive fluids (batteries, motor oil, transmission fluid, antifreeze, brake fluid)
- household cleaners (ammonia, drain cleaners, acid cleaners, oven cleaners)
- other materials (compact fluorescent bulbs, batteries, pool chemicals, chemistry sets, asbestos, mercury, thermometers, fire extinguishers)
- leaking containers
- farm-quantity pesticides
- compressed gas
- radioactive materials, including smoke detectors
- light ballasts
- industrial or commercial waste
- gas cylinders, including propane tanks
- bulk waste
- medical waste
- infectious or biohazard waste