It's fish fry season!
Every Friday until Easter, you can find great fried fish and other meatless dinner options at churches and organizations around the South Hills.
Here's a list of some local options for you and your family. You can try a different fish fry each Friday!
If your favorite fish fry isn't on the list, please add it in the comments below.
- St. Benedict the Abbot Catholic Church: Fridays of Lent, except Good Friday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. (lunch), 4-7:30 p.m. (dinner), O’Brien Hall, 120 Abington Rd. Lunch includes fried fish sandwich basket (sandwich, french fries and cole slaw). Also, weekly special and cheese pizza. Dinner menu includes fish dinner basket (fried or baked fish, or shrimp) with french fries and cole slaw. Also, fish sandwiches, cheese pizza (whole or by the slice), weekly soup specials, pierogies with butter and onions, and haluski.
Upper St. Clair
- St. Louise De Marillac Church: Fridays of Lent (except Good Friday), 4:30-7:30 p.m., LaGras Parish Center, 320 McMurray Rd. Fried fish sandwich and dinner, crab cakes, fried shrimp, baked fish sandwich or dinner, macaroni and cheese, pierogies, haluski, pizza, french fries, salad and wide variety of desserts. Also, weekly featured soup. Takeout available.
- St. Thomas More: Fridays of Lent, except Good Friday, 4:30-7:30 p.m., Family Life Center, 126 Fort Couch Rd. Choose from baked cod, with a side of pasta, or featured pasta. Weekly featured pastas: Feb. 15 linguini with shrimp; Feb. 22, vegetable lasagna; March 1, linguini with asparagus and mushrooms; March 8, linguini with three pepper sauce; March 15, lasagna with salmon; March 22, tortellini with mushroom marsala sauce. Other dinner options available. Kids’ menu and gluten-free pasta available. Tossed salad, roll and beverage included. Dinner: $9 for adults, $5 for kids 10 and under. Pasta prepared by chef Lucie Facco. Takeout available. For information, call 412-833-0031.
- St. Valentine: Ash Wednesday and Fridays of Lent, including Good Friday, 4-7:30 p.m. (2-6:30 p.m. for takeout), 2710 Ohio St. Featuring jumbo cod sandwich, along with baked fish, pasta dinner, pierogies, butterfly shrimp and a variety of side dishes. Desserts and drinks available. Cost: jumbo beer-battered cod sandwich, $7.25; child-size fried cod sandwich, $4; Nantucket baked cod, $7.25; fried butterfly shrimp, $7; pasta dinner, $5; homemade pierogies, $5.50. Takeout available, To order, call 412-851-9176. For information, call 412-835-4415, or visit www.stvals.org and click on Lenten fish fry.
- St. Bernard: Fridays of Lent, except Good Friday, 4-7:30 p.m., Clairvaux Hall, 311 Washington Rd. Menu: fried and baked fish dinner, macaroni and cheese dinner, baked and fried fish sandwiches, pizza, pierogies, nightly specials, including pasta, homemade gumbo and clam chowder, french fries, cole slaw, beer, beverages and desserts. Also, special fish taco, with baked fish in a tortilla with crunchy red cabbage, tomatoes, and homemade corn and black bean salsa. Prices: dinner, $8.50; pizza, $2/slice; fish sandwich, $6.50; specials, $8.50; homemade gumbo and clam chowder, $3.50. Takeout available, call 412-341-1565.
- St. Catherine of Siena Church will hold a fish fry every Friday during Lent, except for Good Friday, from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. The dinner will be at McCann Hall, at 1907 Broadway Ave. in Beechview. For details, call 412-531-2135.
- Resurrection Church: Ash Wednesday and Fridays of Lent, 4-7 p.m., Garden Room, 1100 Creedmoor Ave. Beer-battered fried or baked fish dinner, with homemade macaroni and cheese, or french fries, vegetable or stewed tomatoes, cole slaw or applesauce, dessert, roll and beverage, $11 for adults, $7 for children. A la carte menu includes beer-battered fried fish, french fries and cole slaw. Homemade pierogies are four for $3. Takeout available. To order or for information, call 412-563-4400.
- St. Mary: Ash Wednesday and Fridays of Lent, including Good Friday, 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Menu features seasoned panko-breaded cod deep-fried in heart healthy tri-fry oil that is cholesterol and trans-fat free. Other healthy alternatives include baked cod, salmon and Maine lobster rolls. Also, homemade crab cakes, pan-seared scallops, shrimp in a basket, jumbo shrimp, and cabbage and noodles. Side orders include green beans, baked potato, french fries and cole slaw. Takeout available. To place an order, call 412-221-9771 on day of fish fry, or 412-221-1560 on other days, or visit www.stmarycecil.org
- Bridgeville Volunteer Fire Department: Fish fry is held every other Friday (2/15, 3/1, 3/15, 3/29) from 4 to 7 p.m. 370 Commercial St. 412.221.1711 - www.bridgevillevfd.com
- Holy Child Catholic Parish: Ash Wednesday and Fridays of Lent, including Good Friday, 4-7 p.m., school cafeteria, 220 Station St. Fried fish and baked fish dinners and sandwiches, fried shrimp and cheese pizza. Note, special beer-battered fish on Feb. 22 and March 15. Sides include french fries, cole slaw, haluski, pierogies, stewed tomatoes and macaroni and cheese. Dessert is included with meal. Dinners are $9 for adults, $5.50 for kids, and include two sides. A $1 “frequent flyer card” entitles holder to a fish sandwich after purchasing five adult dinners. Also, weekly prize raffles and lottery tickets. To order or more information, call 412-221-4720.
- A fish fry is held every Friday between 4 to 7 p.m. (Also Ash Wednesday) 456 First St., Carnegie, PA 15106 412.276.5955 - www.heidelbergfire.com
- Our Lady of Grace Parish: Ash Wednesday and Fridays of Lent, including Good Friday, 4:30-7 p.m. (3-7 p.m. on Good Friday), Conroy Hall, 310 Kane Blvd. Serving hand-breaded North Atlantic cod. Dinners: shrimp, baked fish, fried fish, fish sandwich, crab cake and seafood platter. Cost is $9.50 adult dinner, $9 for seniors and kids, and $11.50 for seafood platter. A la carte menu includes pizza, baked potato, french fries, pierogies, haluski, lobster bisque, clam chowder and more.
- Our Lady of Victory Maronite Catholic Church: Fridays of Lent, except Good Friday, 4-7:30 p.m., 1000 Lindsay Rd. Fried and baked fish, salads, macaroni and cheese, and a variety of Lebanese dishes. Cost: dinner with two sides, $10; fish with choice of all sides, $12; fish sandwich, $6. Credit cards accepted. For more information, call 412-278-0841 or visit www.olov.info.
- Presto Volunteer Fire Department: Fish Fry is held every other Friday (2/22, 3/8, 3/22) from 3:30 to 7 p.m. 5228 Thoms Run Rd., Presto, PA 15142 412-221-5677 – www.prestovfd.org
- Rennerdale Volunteer Fire Department: Fish Fry is held on every other Friday (2/15, 3/1, 3/15) from 3 to 8 p.m. 30 Suburban Ave., Carnegie, PA 15106 412-276-9652 - www. rennerdalevfd.com
Click here for a Pittsburgh fish fry map.
Click here to find the Pittsburgh Catholic fish fry guide.