The Peters Township Planning Commission voted to recommend the adoption of the revised crematory ordinance.
Peters Council is now expected to vote on the measure at a public hearing on Monday, Jan. 21.
Some of the revisions in the ordinance include:
- A crematory must be 750 feet from existing residences.
- Air emissions will be required to be monitored and studied by a third party.
- Operation is only allowed between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- No halogenic plastics can be burned.
- A certified crematory operator is required.
"Let me be clear, there are no facilities proposed in the township as we speak," Planning Director Ed Zuk said.
The planning commission chairman read a letter at Thursday night's meeting from a former opponent of crematories in the township. The letter was in agreement with the revisions.
Click here and scroll to the bottom of the Peters Township website homepage to find the link to the entire proposed ordinance.
What are your thoughts on the revised crematory ordinance? Tell us in the comments below.